Wednesday 6 September 2017

The Light has come

Arise, shine; For your light has come! And the glory of the LORD is risen upon you. For behold, the darkness shall cover the earth, And deep darkness the people; But the LORD will arise over you, And His glory will be seen upon you. The Gentiles shall come to your light, And kings to the brightness of your rising. – Isaiah 60.1-3

Behold, the darkness will cover the earth and deep darkness the people.

If there is a more apt description of the world today I certainly don’t know it. The world is so lost in darkness that it doesn’t even know what it is stumbling over. When I was a Scout we had a test where we had to travel by foot overnight to a set destination without a compass or map. We were supposed to use the stars, but it was pitch black. I tried walking but was tripping over everything, I don’t have a clue what tripped me so I headed up on my hands and knees feeling my way. (Yes, I made it back to camp J ).

That is what the world is like without the light of Christ.

God did not leave the world in darkness. Jesus brought to full measure of the light. Today the Light is shining in the darkness but the world does not get it. The Light shines, but the world rejects the Light because it prefers the spiritual darkness than the Light because the deeds of the world are evil and reject God.

But that’s not all. God sends us to be lights in the world to reflect the light of Christ. We vessels of light and it is our job to let our light shine in the dark, dark world.


How does ‘the Light has come relate to us.’ I think we can go back to the little children’s chorus that goes ‘the little light of mine, I’m going to let it shine.’ 

No comments: