Saturday 4 November 2017

One Shepherd

I will establish one shepherd over them, and he shall feed them—My servant David. He shall feed them and be their shepherd.  – Ezekiel 34.23

The gospel in the Old Testament is called a ‘mystery’ or a ‘hidden truth’ in the New Testament because it is there, but it is not always obvious. That is the case here with the reference to God sending one shepherd to feed His people. God says ‘David’ but David was long dead. David in the Old Testament often refers to David’s descendants and specifically ‘David’ often refers to the coming Messiah.

I think that is worthy of consideration here because of the phrase ‘one shepherd’ being over God’s people who will feed and lead them.

‘My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me’ the Great Shepherd said. The one true Shepherd is the One who will lead us and feed us and protect us and provide for us and comfort us and heal and provide goodness and mercy for us now and forever more.


God’s promise of ‘one shepherd’ was not fully understood in Ezekiel’s day, but we know today the truth of ‘the Lord is my shepherd.’ God give us grace to depend on Him for our daily provision and leadership, follow Him, and trust Him to see us through 

No comments: