Friday 1 December 2017

A people who were not my people

And I will sow her unto me in the earth; and I will have mercy upon her that had not obtained mercy; and I will say to them which were not my people, Thou art my people; and they shall say, Thou art my God. – Hosea 2.23

Hosea is an intriguing book. God is illustrating His unchangeable love for His people who were unfaithful to Him. In order to do that He had a tough assignment. God told Hosea to marry a prostitute who He knew would not be faithful to Hosea. He knew she would carry on with her trade.

Just like Gomer was unfaithful to Hosea Israel was unfaithful to God. Though God never forsook His people, he does give is a hint here that part of God's purpose was to use Israel to reach the whole world. We now know that that was achieved through Christ.

The end result of God calling a people who are not His people is Ephesians 2 where we read about the ‘middle wall of partition’ being torn down. At the cross God says to Jews and Gentiles and anything else who turns to Him ‘You were not my people, but now you are my people’ and they respond ‘You are my God.’


Thank God that He so loved the whole world and that his mercy is not only for a few. 

No comments: