Sunday 10 December 2017

No knowledge of God

Hear the word of the LORD, ye children of Israel: for the LORD hath a controversy with the inhabitants of the land, because there is no truth, nor mercy, nor knowledge of God in the land. – Hosea 4.1

I am reading through Hosea again and realised I missed some key truths the first time, so please pardon me if it seems like I am backtracking, because, well, I am.

Israel was a mess. These were God’s people and yet we read that there was no truth, nor mercy, nor knowledge of God in the land. God’s people had forgotten all about God and now no one knew about Him.

Immediately I think of the passage in 1 Corinthians where Paul writes ‘awake to righteousness and do not sin, for some don’t have any knowledge of God. I speak this to your shame.’

We live in a world with no knowledge of God. All around us people are living their lives and dying and facing eternity never knowing the Creator of heaven and earth.

And, to some extent, that is to our shame. We are not sharing our faith as we should. We are not revealing a knowledge of God in our lives. We are not living our faith. We are not sharing His truth.


There is no knowledge of God – and it is our job to share it. 

No comments: