Wednesday 6 December 2017

With bands of love

When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt. As they called them, so they went from them: they sacrificed unto Baalim, and burned incense to graven images. I taught Ephraim also to go, taking them by their arms; but they knew not that I healed them. I drew them with cords of a man, with bands of love: and I was to them as they that take off the yoke on their jaws, and I laid meat unto them. – Hosea 11.1-4

We often think that we don’t see much of God as a God of love until the New Testament. It does seem like there is a lot of judgement and such in the Old Testament, but the God of love is there from the very beginning.

God tells us here that when He drew Israel to Him He drew them with gentle cords and with bands of love.

Of course it is love that motivates God, for God so loved the world that He gave His only Son as a solution to our terrible curse of sin. Sin has separated us all from God, God’s love has provided a way back to Him, but most of the world refuses to acknowledge His love even with His drawing and pleading.

God is still pleading for the world to turn to Him. He is not willing that any should perish, but that everyone turn to Him.


He drew Israel with love. He still draws with love today. Do we carry that message of love to others? 

No comments: