Wednesday 17 January 2018

Wearying God

Ye have wearied the LORD with your words. Yet ye say, Wherein have we wearied him? When ye say, Every one that doeth evil is good in the sight of the LORD, and he delighteth in them; or, Where is the God of judgment? – Malachi 2.17

‘God is tired of your words.’ That’s what Malachi said to the people. ‘Why is He tired of our words?’ ‘Because you have swallowed the line that evil and good don’t make any difference to God.’

The faith of Judah had collapsed. They no longer really believed God. Their religion acted like you could just do whatever you want and God would do nothing about.

These people we taking advantage of God and His patience. God is being slow to anger – and everything thinks that it means He is not going to judge. When that happens we can lose the motivation to do right.

The issue, like so often is motivation. If I am only doing good because I don’t want God to ‘get me’ than I am doing it all wrong. My motivation to do right ought to be because of who He is and because it is right.


I hope we don’t serve God just because there is evil out there that we don’t see Him dealing with. God is working and He will work. I need to trust Him enough to believe that and keep on serving and stop wearying Him with our behaviour. 

No comments: