Saturday 17 February 2018

God knows what you need


Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. – Matthew 6.31-32

Several verses before this stress the importance of not worrying about what we are going to do or how we are going to get by. You can’t make yourself any taller. You can clothe yourself any better than the lilies of the field.

This is a verse which convicts and challenges me every time I come across it. Don’t take any though to what to what you are going to eat or drink or where your clothes are going to come from. These are the things that the nations worry about.

The Lord knows exactly what you need. He already knows what I need tomorrow and the next day and next week and next year and ten years from now.

Jesus knows my needs. He knows how to take care of my needs. He loves me. He knows what is best in the long run. There are things I am often tempted to 'take thought' about. But God knows.

I may think I know what I ‘need.’ I may think I know what is best. I may fret because I can’t see what I want to happen happening.

But God truly knows what I need every day and all the time. He already knows what I need today. Since He knows I don’t have to worry about knowing. I think I know, but after all He is God. Who is going to know better and be better able to do with it?

No comments: