Friday 11 May 2018

And there prayed


And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed. – Mark 1.35

Prayer is one of those areas where I have to admit I can struggle. I have never been satisfied with my prayer life. I really don’t understand why there is such a battle. It seems like something I should be able to just decide to do and then do it.

I know it is important. It is one of the most common themes in the word of God. Jesu clearly command us to pray and not give up.

It’s not that I never pray. It’s just that it is easy for it to slip away and the whole day disappear before I take the time to pray.

Maybe Jesus set a pattern for us here. He got up early, went out and found a quiet place, and prayed. Now remember, this was Jesus, the Son of God, indeed God Himself and still He knew the importance of prayer.

If Jesus considered it important enough to get up early and pray should prayer have the same sort of priority in our lives?

Prayer ought to be as much of our day and eating and drinking and getting out of bed. It must be a priority for us to get through day after day. I fall far short of the kind of prayer life I should have. By the grace of God may I learn to focus more time and give greater priority to my prayers.

May prayer have first place in my life.

No comments: