Friday 4 May 2018

Forsaken


And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?" that is, "MY GOD, MY GOD, WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME?"  - Matthew 27.46

It hardly seems possible that God the Son could say to God the Father ‘My God, My God, why have you forsaken Me?’ I don’t think I will understand the Tri-unity of the Trinity until I get to heaven. To be honest I don’t think anyone ever really has.

But, we’ll leave that aside for now. As Jesus neared His death on the cross He cried out ‘My God, My God, what have you forsaken Me?’ That means that God had turned His face away. We know from Habakkuk that God is ‘of purer eyes than to behold evil.’ That makes the story even more amazing – Jesus bore the shame of our sin even though sin was as abhorrent to Him as it was to God the Father.

How deep the Father’s love for us,
How vast beyond all measure,
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure.
How great the pain of searing loss -
The Father turns His face away,
As wounds which mar the Chosen One
Bring many sons to glory.

How could He bear having the Father turn His face away?

He could bear it only because of His great love for us in order ‘to bring many sons to glory.’

Thank you for such wondrous love.

No comments: