Wednesday 2 May 2018

I don't know Him


Then he began to curse and swear, saying, "I do not know the Man!" Immediately a rooster crowed. And Peter remembered the word of Jesus who had said to him, "Before the rooster crows, you will deny Me three times." So he went out and wept bitterly. – Matthew 26.74-75

I was going to include Peter in yesterday’s thought, but I decided he was a special case and needed a look at on his own.

When told that they were going to betray Jesus, Peter alone stood up and said, ‘not me Lord! I will never deny You!’

Jesus knew though, as He does. ‘Before the rooster crows Peter, you will deny me three times.’

So what happens during the arrest process? Peter denies Jesus, not once, not twice, but, as Jesus said three times. Right after the third denial the rooster crows.

I can’t even imagine how Peter must have felt. The Bible says He wept bitterly because he realised what He had done. For all his talk he had failed Jesus. How could he do that?

We need to be careful with our words and bragging and thinking that we are better than anyone else. We never know what we are going to do until we are but to the test.

Let’s all pray for strength to endure when our faith is put to the test.

No comments: