Thursday 10 May 2018

Straightway

Now as he walked by the sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and Andrew his brother casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers. And Jesus said unto them, Come ye after me, and I will make you to become fishers of men. And straightway they forsook their nets, and followed him. – Mark 1.16-18

As another gospel account, this one by Mark, begins we see a repeat of the calling of the disciples. The first two men He calls are fishermen named Simon and Andrew. Jesus walks up to these two men, says ‘come after Me and I will make you fishers of men.’ Chances are that they didn’t even know what He meant by that. But look what they did.

Straightway, immediately, without hesitation they laid down their nets and followed Jesus.

This immediacy of obedience challenges me. I can be a procrastinator in so many ways. I’ll be doing my devotions or reading my people or preparing or hearing a message and the Holy Spirit will deal with my heart. I’ll say ‘I did to deal with that.’ But then, when I get home or whatever I forget about it and go on my way. I have friends and neighbours I know I need to share the gospel with but I can always find a reason to put it off for now. Perhaps I have offended someone and I need to sort it, but I am looking for a more opportune time. Whatever the situation this ‘straightway attitude’ needs to be more a part of my life. I need to be more willing to act now when God deals with my heart. 

No comments: