Friday 18 May 2018

Why can't you understand?


And he said unto them, How is it that ye do not understand? – Mark 8.21

Jesus was doing miracle after miracle after miracle to prove to the world who He was. He kept healing the sick and even raising the dead. He controlled to weather. He fed multitudes. Sill though the people kept asking for a sign to prove who He was.

Signs are not the answer. Jesus said ‘why can’t you get it? Why can’t you understand what is going on here?’

It is easy for me to be critical of these people for not ‘getting it.’ I can easily say ‘why can’t you folks cop on? It is so obvious!’

But then the Holy Spirit asks me the same question. ‘Why can you get it Roger? Why can’t you cop on son? It is all so clear.’

When that happens I have to stop and consider the truth. Despite the word of God, despite God’s promises, and despite forty plus years of watching God work I still have times when I act like I don’t get it. I can doubt His promise. He tells me to cast all my cares on Him because He cares for me, but I keep my cares to myself. He tells me not to worry. He tells me to be ‘care-ful’ for nothing but I and fret and deal with anxiety.

The answer is simple. We don’t get it when we don’t really believe.

I do believe Lord, help my unbelief.

No comments: